Sunday, December 14, 2008

Immigrant shows us best of being American


Most of us can only dream of handling tragedy with as much grace as Dong Yun Yoon, the San Diego man who lost his entire family when an out-of-control F/A-18D Hornet fighter on a training mission crashed into his home Monday.

The plane crashed after the pilot ejected to save his own life, but the South Korean immigrant's words for the Marine flier were only kind.

"I heard the pilot is safe. Please pray for him not to suffer from this accident. I know he is one of our treasures for our country. I don't blame him. I don't have any hard feelings. I know he did everything he could."

Actually, he blamed himself and told the press of his father-in-law, who was on the way from Korea to grieve for his lost wife, his daughter and his granddaughters.

"I don't know what to tell him. I don't know how he'll ever forgive me."



There has been a lot of talk this year about greatness, and millions of Americans believe that we have elected a great man to be our next president. I believe that's yet to be seen, although I like Barack Obama and have high hopes for his presidency.

But there is one thing I do know.

Dong Yun Yoon is a great man.

A great American.

allvoices

No comments: