Saturday, March 28, 2009

Anonymous is just so ... anonymous


I'm happy to see that there are people responding to these posts, even though I sometimes think I've come across some right-wing coven.

But never mind. I know some of you are just trying to make me argue more rigorously, and it's only a few of you who worship the ground on which Rush Limbaugh stomps.

My problem is with "anonymous."

That's how most of you label your comments, leaving me to wonder whether they came from someone I know, from someone I would like to know or from Karl Rove or one of his minions. Seriously, I can understand why you don't attach your real name. For all you know, I would wind up on your doorstep asking to borrow money.

But the way I set up the response thing is that you can make up a name. You can do the "Penthouse Letters" thing and call yourself Horny in Harrisburg or you can call yourself Angry Conservative, Dave in Dubuque or just Mom. It would be so much more pleasant if along with your thoughts, I could get some idea of who was sharing them.

The guy who called me "comrade," for instance. It would really help to know if he was the regional president of the John Birch Society.

Yes, yes, I'm kidding, and I would rather have you stay anonymous than not comment at all.

But think about it.

After all, what's in a name?

allvoices

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is James.

I prefer not to leave my last name.

I called you "comrade" because your left-leaning prejudices often get in the way of otherwise brilliant insights.

There are no right-wing covens reading you.

They wouldn't stay for long.

I'm a far right Democrat. I come from a Blue Collar, Bible-believing, hard drinking, hard playing family of Democrats.

We hate that the right wing Repubs has always been able to claim the moral high ground on most issues.

Take a look at the banking debacle.

It's not right wing.

Bernie Madoff was a card-carrying liberal -- and so were most of the folks he bilked.

We've got to get back to the middle -- where Dems and Repubs can gather together.

Leave the nutters to themselves, whatever fringe they cling to.

Mike Rappaport said...

Thank you, James. I'm not nearly as far to the left as you might think; I despise people on the left and the right who con others.

I prefer to live my own life by the precepts Christ taught us -- love God and love your neighbor.

I get very frustrated with people who take the attitude that everyone is on their own.

Anonymous said...

James in response:

Sounds fair.

Just be even-handed.

That's all I ask.

I noticed some of the "sites" you recommend, and I think most of them are crazies -- Huffington, Sludge ... er, Drudge, etc.

Why can't there be a political movement that takes dead center instead of potshots from the extreme left and right?

Mike Rappaport said...

We almost got one going a few years ago.

Read our manifesto.