Monday, June 8, 2009

Songs evocative of a strange time

I've been watching Season One of "The Paper Chase," barreling through one episode after another and enjoying the heck out of good intelligent television that just isn't around anymore.

That first season aired in 1978-79, and there was one thing common to every episode -- the song that played over the credits by Seals and Crofts. To me, at least, theirs was a unique sound that more than any others, says "1970s" to me.

From "Summer Breeze" and "Hummingbird" in 1972 to "You're the Love" in 1978, with three or four other hits in between, the harmonies of Jim Seals and Dash Crofts were all over the radio for the better part of the decade.



"Summer Breeze" in particular was a wonderful song; I was 22 that summer and it wasn't one of the summers I remember all that fondly. I was still getting over the lovely Joyce Sonnemann and it wasn't until that fall I would meet the woman who would become my first wife.

Ah, the '70s.

I wonder where my old albums are.

allvoices

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ARE old.

That's like ancient history.

Even the oldies stations apologize for it being old.

Terri

Mike Rappaport said...

Uh, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Cruel words from someone so young.

Buck up, Mike.

You have almost 30 years to go to catch up with me.

Ernie

Mike Rappaport said...

Ernie, I thought you were 97. That would be almost 40 years.

Anonymous said...

I'll be 92 next birthday.

And I still read four newspapers every day, walk two miles, lift weights, play 18 holes twice a week -- don't ask about the scores or my average off-the-tee drive -- but my wife (76) has never had any complaints about the soldier being able to salute.

So, thank you, Mike.

(I'm sorry, I thought you were approaching your late 60's. My "bad.")

:>)

Ernie

Anonymous said...

Go Ernie.

I wish the little soldier wouldn't have struggles saluting, but that's why there are little blue pills, I guess.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

BOYS!

Can we move on.

This is getting salacious.

But it does prove one thing -- no matter how old a man becomes, he NEVER grows up.

Cindy