Friday, September 19, 2008

An amazing call, an amazing feeling


I got a phone call Thursday that at first I thought was a crank call.

Somebody told me to hold on, and then I heard someone crying. Not just crying, squalling. The first voice, which I hadn't recognized, was my son-in-law. The second was my granddaughter, who was exactly 10 minutes old.

Wow.

One of the great regrets of my life is that I wasn't around for my two children's early years, so I never went through the whole delivery-room, brand-new-baby thing. The closest I ever came was inadvertent. I turned a page in one of my friend Mick's photo albums and saw a color picture of his firstborn child coming out of his wife.

Definitely too much information.

This was different, as you can see from the picture. My first grandchild, Madison Nicole Kastner, was born Friday in Beijing, China, and it looks like I'm finally going to have to come to terms with the fact that I'm not 22 years old anymore.

I'm a grandfather.

I couldn't be happier.

allvoices

No comments: