Saturday, April 18, 2009

Facebook helps keep family in touch


A lot of people talk about getting "addicted" to Facebook, and I would be the first to admit I'm spending too much time on the social networking site.

Still, there is one thing totally wonderful about the time I spend there, and that's that I'm getting to watch my infant granddaughter grow up.

Maddie was born in Beijing last Sept. 19, and I had the opportunity to hold her in my arms when she was less than two weeks old. Later in the fall, she and her parents -- my daughter and her husband -- came to visit us for three weeks. It was wonderful, but when they left, the Amazing Baby was still less than three months old.

We'll see her again later this summer after Pauline finishes her two-year tour in China and returns to the States, but in between, there's Facebook. Pauline and Ryan have started posting videos of Maddie trying to stand up, Maddie eating real food, Maddie with a baseball cap on her head backwards and Maddie learning to deliver a razzberry.

It's all wonderful, and I feel like our generation of grandparents has been particularly blessed to be able to keep in touch with our children and their children from thousands of miles away.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got videos to watch.

allvoices

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Post a video, you yutz!

You can't describe how delicious the meal is and not let us taste it.

Great looking kid.

Mike Rappaport said...

I don't have the videos. I can only watch them on Facebook. I'll try and get one.

Pauline said...

I love the videos. The one of Maddie razzing is available for all to see. Thanks so much for writing this blog. I miss you very much and am sorry that we won't see more of each other this summer.