Thursday, April 16, 2009

One thought about 'tea parties'

I actually have very little to say about yesterday's "tea parties" across America.

I believe very strongly in the right to protest, even when I disagree with the people doing the protesting, so I'm not at all unhappy that people opposed to President Obama's policies took to the streets to make their point.

Just one thing, though:

In what was probably an effort to link these protests to the famous Boston Tea Party in 1773, quite a few people had signs complaining about "taxation without representation."

Sorry, but that's not true. Just as the right told the left for eight years to "get over it" when some of us protested the 2000 presidential election, folks need to understand that when you lose an election and the winners do something you don't like, that doesn't mean you aren't represented.

It just means you lost.

That's as simply as I can put it.

allvoices

No comments: