Saturday, July 25, 2009

Little kids make pool a splashy place


When I was in my teens, my family went to a swimming pool a few blocks from where we lived.

It was a community pool, and we paid a fee each year to belong. I remember many hot afternoons hanging out at the pool, swimming and playing games in the water and getting out for five minutes every hour when the lifeguard called out "Rest period!"

If I remember correctly, I think once kids turned 16, they didn't have to vacate the pool for those five minutes. It was always more pleasant during those few minutes that the little kids weren't in the pool.

I don't live in Virginia any more, and our neighborhood pool is much smaller than the one I used to visit. But it's still wonderful to get into the water in the late afternoon of a hot day and cool off some.

The only problem is that in the smaller pool, even a small number of children can make for an awful lot of splashing. The children tend to be a lot younger -- at least half of them appear to be 5 or 6 years old -- and they get a lot of joy out of making the water fly.

They don't seem to play organized games. In all the times I have gone to our pool, I haven't heard the words "Marco" or "Polo" even once. I suppose I could try to teach them, and as wary as kids are these days, I wouldn't be surprised to hear one of them yelling "Stranger danger!" the first time I said anything.

Actually, I did have a brief conversation with one little boy this afternoon. I was standing in water up to my shoulders at the edge of the pool, trying to keep my copy of John D. MacDonald's "The Dreadful Lemon Sky" from getting wet.

He walked up to me along the side of the pool and asked me a question?

"Can I jump in right here?" he asked, gesturing to a spot about a foot from me.

I didn't pause for a second. "No."

He looked disappointed, so I explained to him that I didn't want to be splashed, but if he went to the other side of the pool, the water was the same depth.

That's what he did, but I still felt bad.

You kids get off my lawn.

allvoices

No comments: