Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A quest for fun in 30 cities


Most of us have at least two different types of goal in life.

We have the important ones that we really want to achieve -- and the whimsical ones that give us pleasure as hobbies.

I have had several friends who have described their lives as the quest for the perfect cheeseburger, and I'm pretty sure my son-in-law is trying to sample every good beer in the world at least once.

I'm not that ambitious, but I would like to see a baseball game in every one of the major league stadiums before I die.

It's obvious I can't see games in every ballpark that ever existed, unless H.G. Wells were to show up on my doorstep. There are a lot of stadiums either no longer in use or no longer in existence. But there are 30 major league franchises, and each one of them has a stadium. I'll settle for completing the rounds in all 30 of them.

I'm actually a little envious of my granddaughter. In the picture above, Maddie is attending her first baseball game, at Safeco Field in Seattle. That's one of the parks I have yet to visit.

Here's where I stand as of July 2009:

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Baltimore -- I haven't been to Camden Yards, but I attended several Orioles games in the '60s, '70s and '80s at the old Memorial Stadium that preceded it.

Boston -- I've been to Fenway Park once in 1997, for a game between the Red Sox and the Mariners. It was in the days when the curse of the Bambino still afflicted the Olde Towne Team.

Chicago -- I've never seen the White Sox play at home.

Cleveland -- I haven't been to Jacobs Field, but my dad and my grandfather took me to Indians games at Municipal Stadium, the old Mistake by the Lake, in the '60s.

Detroit -- I've never seen a ballgame in Detroit.

Kansas City -- All I've ever seen in K.C. was college basketball.

Los Angeles -- I've been a number of baseball games in Anaheim, including a game with the Padres and Angels on the first night ever of interleague play.

Minnesota -- I've never been to a ballgame in Minneapolis.

New York -- I saw numerous games at the old Yankee Stadium, even prior to the 1974-75 remodeling. When I was 7 years old, I walked on the field after the game and saw the monuments in center field. I haven't been to the one that opened this year.

Oakland -- I've been to one ballgame at Oakland Coliseum, Orioles vs. A's in the summer of 1991.

Seattle -- I've never been to a ballgame in Seattle, but I'm hoping to add Safeco to my list next month.

Tampa Bay -- I've never even been to Tampa.

Texas -- I've been to Dallas, but only for the 1986 Final Four. No ballgames.

Toronto -- I've never been to Toronto.

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Arizona -- I haven't been to any games in Phoenix, although I imagine it's doable on a weekend trip from Los Angeles.

Atlanta -- I haven't been to Turner Field, but I did see Steve Carlton shut out the Braves at Fulton County Stadium on Opening Night 1984.

Chicago -- I saw Wrigley Field when I was 9 and in Chicago for a funeral, but it was winter and there was no baseball being played.

Cincinnati -- In 1957, I saw a Sunday doubleheader between the New York Giants and the Reds at old Crosley Field. I've never been to Riverfront Stadium or to Great American Ballpark.

Colorado -- I lived in Colorado before major league baseball, so I've never been to Coors Field. I did see the Class AAA Denver Zephyrs play in 1987, and I saw Minnesota and Toronto play two exhibition games in 1988 at Mile High Stadium.

Florida -- My only trip to Miami was Spring Break 1980, long before there was major league baseball in Florida.

Houston -- I've never been to the Astrodome or to Enron/Minute Maid Field.

Los Angeles -- My home stadium. Counting the two years I covered the Dodgers, I have probably been to close to 200 games at Dodger Stadium.

Milwaukee -- I've never even been to Milwaukee.

New York -- I saw several games at Shea Stadium, including one that Tom Seaver pitched on the Fourth of July in the early '70s, but I haven't been to Citi Field yet.

Philadelphia -- I haven't been to old Shibe Park or to the new stadium in Philly, but I did see the Dodgers and Phillies play at Veterans Stadium in 1982.

Pittsburgh -- I've never spent any time in Pittsburgh.

St. Louis -- I worked in the Gateway City for 2 1/2 years from 1984-86 and I covered about two dozen baseball games, including Game Three of the 1985 World Series, at old Busch Stadium. I haven't been to the new stadium yet.

San Diego -- I haven't been to Petco Park yet, although I covered a number of games at Jack Murphy Stadium, including the 1992 All-Star Game.

San Francisco -- I've seen only three baseball games at Candlestick Park, but they were all games in the 1989 N.L. Championship Series between the Giants and Cubs. I haven't been to the new stadium yet.

Washington -- My home town. I never saw a game at Griffith Stadium, but I saw numerous games -- including the 1969 All-Star Game -- at RFK Stadium. And last year, I saw the Nationals beat the New York Mets at the new stadium.



allvoices

2 comments:

Pauline said...

I love Safeco field! I can't wait to go together for a game! When do you want to go?

Mike Rappaport said...

You decide.