Friday, November 28, 2008

Living 115 years must be amazing


I found myself thinking about Edna Parker this week.

Parker, who died Wednesday in Shelbyville, Ind., had been the world's oldest person for the last year or so of her life. She was born April 20, 1893, so she didn't just live in three centuries during her 115-plus year on Earth. She inhabited them. She started school in the 19th century and was still urging people to get "more education" in the 21st century.

One part of her story made me feel very sad. She married her childhood sweetheart in 1913, when she was 20, and lost him in 1939 to a massive heart attack.

Imagine losing the love of your life when you're 46 and then living for another 69 years. She continued living alone in the farmhouse they had shared until she was 100 years old.

She lived long enough that she outlived both of her sons. When she died Wednesday, she was survived by five grandchildren, 13 great-grandchildren and 13 great-great-grandchildren. Imagine getting to see four generations down the line past yourself; most of us never get to see more than two.

I have been overwhelmed by the miracle of my baby granddaughter, who was born just two months ago. I literally cannot comprehend seeing little Maddie as a grandmother with my great-great-grandchild in her arms. I cannot even imagine being at the halfway point of 115 years of life, of seeing the world in the year 2065.

I was in high school in 1965, and I have recently been reconnecting with some of my friends from those days. The thought of approaching a 100-year reunion at which I would certainly be the only attendee just blows my mind.

One of the saddest statements I've ever heard is that if you live long enough, you will lose everyone you loved. With so many descendants, that didn't happen to Edna.

I do hope that when she showed up at the Pearly Gates, St. Peter had something to say to her.

"Edna, we're glad you're finally here."

allvoices

No comments: