Sunday, September 6, 2009

Howard Beale told the truth


Howard Beale, huh?

I can live with that. If you saw "Network," you may remember that Beale was killed for telling the truth and threatening to scuttle a major corporate takeover. Listen to the 1976 speech Paddy Chayefsky wrote for Beale and see how much of it was truly prescient.

I don't mind criticism, especially when I'm wrong, but I've read and re-read my original post and my response to Jim and I don't see anything I need to walk back. I said I was tired of haters and that they were bad people and liars, and I said something mean about Ol' Dubya.


Sorry, but I just don't much like the man. I thought it was a disgrace he was even nominated, let alone elected. The man just didn't have the gravitas to be president, and thousands of Americans and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis paid the ultimate price for that.

As for being far left, uh, not so much. For one thing, I'm pro-life. For another, during the years I was writing a newspaper column, I called for Bill Clinton's resignation over the Lewinsky thing. I'm not a big fan of Nancy Pelosi, but I do think one reason so many people are so worried about Obama is the way the media is distorting the debate.

Two Ph. D's, huh Jim? Good on you. The closest I ever get to two Ph. Ds is when I go to bed at night. I dropped out of school in the seventh grade myself. Wanted to explore the exciting world of carnival geeks, but when I found out they wanted me to eat chicken every night, I couldn't handle it.

Besides, my old daddy used to tell me that arguin' about who's smart and who's not makes about as much sense as rasslin' with a pig. You get dirty and the pig enjoys it.

So no, I'm not insulting your intelligence or trying to claim I'm the smartest guy in the room. I am the smartest guy in the room right now, but that's only because I'm sitting here alone.

But I tell you what. If you're looking for fairness to Dubya or Dick Cheney, or measured commentary about Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter, you're probably at the wrong place.

I don't think I'm far left, but I am not ashamed to be called a liberal.

And Nan, in case you were wondering, I never censor comments or delete blogs.

I'm not afraid of words.

allvoices

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

As usual, you missed my point.

The fact I hold two Phds was meant to demonstrate that I have some credibility when I maintain I'm no dolt.

You obviously didn't get that.

You can hate Dubya all you want, but the man has not been President for almost a year (maybe more if you count his lame duck status last year) and the current president is less than qualified.

He is the ultimate "sweet talking guy."

And I am neither stupid nor racist for making that observation.

Just as you have expressed your opinion, that is mine. However, the difference is I do not hate the man, I merely find his policies and actions abhorrent and dangerous for our democracy.

And I am a Democrat.

My response to your blog was to point out that I feel neglected and alone when it comes to "civics" and politics.

There is no middle-of-the-road any more.

And your rants against people with whom (as a southerner you'll understand this) have no "truck" only contributes the the unreasoning cacophony of unsubstantiated opinion passing for commentary nowadays.

You probably are the smartest guy in the room, but you often sound like (or read like) one of the more ignorant because you shoot from the hip so often.

I was not that fond of Robert Novak's positions on issues, but I respected his ability to find issue with someone's position with being demeaning or insulting.

WE are losing that type of commentary.

So, be proud of being liberal, but remember, there are some people who expect more reason and less fury from you.

Jim

Mike Rappaport said...

Thank you kindly, Jim. But what you see as fury is me just expressing a strong opinion.

Calling people "haters" isn't always done in anger, and I can agree with you that I would much rather have seen Obama get some experience and wait till 2016 or so.

But that's me. My own first choice wasn't all that good. I had a John Edwards bumper sticker on my car for six months.

Sorry to say this, but I don't even know where the middle of the road is anymore.

I certainly would have thought finding out a way to make sure everyone can have health insurance wasn't all that radical a position, but the damn middle of the road keeps moving on me.

I think we'd be better off if more people could read.

1948nanA said...

never say never !
lordy..

1948nanA said...

well, i am weary of your words, mike.
your blog leaves me shaking my head....way too many big names thrown around and just more internet rubbish.
it seems like you are looking to find another job and using the blog as part of your resume.
guess i am just mean to you !
not really...not sure why you rub me the wrong way.
prolly just a difference in ways of living these days !
i never found a political party that appeals to me...but, i keep hoping a new one will appear.

words to me, are thoughts by another conveying ideas, emotions, and insights.
words can hurt, and heal !

peace, nan.

Mike Rappaport said...

Nan, I'm not using the blog to find another job. I'll be 60 in three months and my wife will be 60 in six months.

If all goes according to plan, we'll retire then.

1948nanA said...

good for you and your wife !
seriously !
i am now also 60, and must re-enter the work force !
my life plan didn't pan out so well....
i am looking forward to the next chapter in my life, because, i am more content with who i am now.
whether you work or retire, bills still must be paid.
i am so happy, that all 3 of my kids are now on their own.
now, i can focus on ME !
heck, i wish everyone well.

just me.

Anonymous said...

Ahem.

It does seem you read things, but completely miss the point.

I don't know if that's because you're suffering from ADD or you simply don't know how to understand what's been written, but the reference to Howard Beale was made by me -- and it was NOT comparing you to Beale.

On the contrary, I was suggesting you were a poor imitation, a low-rent version of that perceptive fictional character created by Paddy Chayefsky.

Check what I wrote in response to your last blog.

That you were a pale imitation of Howard Beale, not that you were his current standard bearer.

And what's worse, you go on other websites and allege that I was calling you a Howard Beale.

I saw "Network."

I was fascinated by Howard Beale.

And you, sir, are no Howard Beale.

RANDY

Anonymous said...

Labeling someone as a "hater" is name calling.

Pure and simple.

It only adds to the rancor in society and in the media.

Is there a less savage way to make your point?

(BTW, I'm back in my home -- and while the fire did not ravage our neighborhood, nearby gardens and meadows and woodlands are gone. Now blacked and devoid of color, they remind me we are headed for the same result in our culture if we don't tone down the temperature of the rhetoric -- whether we're starting a blog or responding to one.)

Evelyn

1948nanA said...

mike, you need some ther a py.
or something....

n.

Mike Rappaport said...

Thank you, Nan.