Monday, September 14, 2009

A life without memories ... maybe


One of the most difficult things about being human is the memory.

I always loved Annie Savoy's line from the wonderful movie "Bull Durham:"

"The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self awareness."

I remember mentioning that line to my sister Laura once. I don't know if she was in a bad mood or what, but her response was that she had never considered me particularly self-aware.

I wish she was right. I wish I were a year old, as my lovely granddaughter will be this Saturday. I wish I could sweep away all the mistakes, all the hurts and just live my life again from the start.

Of course, we don't get to do that. Even if we were in one of those goofy movies where the older person and the younger one switch bodies, it wouldn't be fair to Maddie to cheat her out of nearly 59 years.

I would actually be happy just to forget my past and live what's left of my life in clueless oblivion, to wake up to a new world every morning and just concentrate on loving the people I love and being good to the others.

Maybe I should try for that.

allvoices

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We only get one life, Mike. And despite what people have done to you or what you've done to others), tomorrow is a fresh palette and you can start over.

Yes, there are feelings that you wish and go back and do things differently, but since you can't, simply resolve to do your best every minute of every day.

That is hard enough.

My Best Wishes to you and yours -- especially to your Cutie Patootie granddaughter.

Evelyn