Saturday, May 16, 2009

One way of looking at America


What is America?

Who are we as Americans?

What's the most important thing about our country?

It's a question I've been asking myself for quite some time now, and it's one I've written about in this space. What concerns me most about it is that our "republic, if you can keep it," as Ben Franklin once said, depends a great deal on an educated citizenry. That's something I'm not sure we have right now.

Once was a time -- actually just a few years ago -- when I toyed with the idea of running for Congress. My plan was to do retail campaigning, going door to door, mall to mall and shaking as many hands as I possibly could. I would run on sensible, moderate-to-liberal positions, and I would refuse to do any negative campaigning at all.

I'm a really good public speaker, and I relate well to people in small groups or individually as well. I actually thought I might have a chance if I could devote a year to it, full time.

Of course I was crazy.

I could never have won. I probably wouldn't have even gotten into double digits in an election. Any opponent would have pounded me as inexperienced (the last election I was in was in 1980 for president of my fraternity -- I won) and as someone who would be a disaster in Washington.

You see, I believe in American values.

I believe that freedom of speech is nearly absolute, that political correctness on the left and on the right is an abomination.

I believe in freedom of the press, and think that concentrated ownership of the news media is destroying the independence of the Fourth Estate.

I believe in freedom of religion, and feel strongly that even though I am Roman Catholic and accept Jesus as my savior, folks who have other faiths -- or no faith -- are every bit as American as I am.

I believe that to the extent America is a force in the world, it needs to be a force for good. That means repudiating the idea of pre-emptive wars and also of torturing prisoners.

I do not believe in laissez-faire capitalism. Every time we've done it, the rich have gotten richer and the rest of us have gotten screwed. On the other hand, managed capitalism as we did it from Roosevelt to Reagan was the most effective -- and fairest -- economic system in the modern world.

I believe a lot of other things, but mostly that American exceptionalism, a term thrown around a lot in recent years, is only valid when we behave well, both toward our own people and toward the rest of the world.

We were never meant to be an empire.

All we ever really wanted was to be special, and there's no reason we can't be that again.

Even if it means I never get elected to Congress.

allvoices

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd vote for you.

Celeste

Anonymous said...

Me, too.

Evelyn

Anonymous said...

If you were half as smart as you think you are, you'd be urging if not demanding your readers vote yes in California for Propositions 1B and 1B.

Then again, maybe you don't care for our Republic.

You certainly haven't shown much respect to me and the hundreds of other real teachers.

Oh, your friend may be popular, but that only means he's easy.

If you care at all for education and the republic, insist your readers vote YES for Props 1A and 1B

Anonymous said...

Oh, praise the lord.

Couusin Itt has returned.

Maybe i shouldn't tell him that I've carefully read each proposition -- and I, too, have an advanced degree, and I'm voting a big NO on all of them.

Yes, there will be some hard times as reality finally invades Sacramento, but those bozos are mereely delaying what should be inevitable -- the gravy train for so many state programs -- ahem, including the featherbedding of so many "good" teachers like Cousin Itt.

No, I'll stick up for Mike and his friends.

I vote NO, Cousin Itt.

I'll pit my brain against yours any day.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Jeff is an idiotic drone.

I guess so are many of the jerks reading this blog.

What you don't realize, Jeff, is that a teacher taught you how to read and write and think.

The pupil is never better than the teacher.

Vote YES on Props 1A and 1B.

Anonymous said...

Just for the record, after reading through each proposition, I will vote NO as well.

Badly written.

I used to review bills in Sacramento for legislators and point out flaws. Normal lawyer stuff.

I guess they never filled my job when I left.

These props are horribly written and will end up costing the state far more in he long run.

No, Cousin It, I vote NO and I hope everyone else does the same.

Evelyn