Sunday, May 31, 2009

You don't save lives by killing doctors

Here we go again.

This morning in Kansas, a gunman walked into a Wichita Lutheran church and gunned down one of the ushers. The usher, Dr. George Tiller, was notorious in the pro-life community for performing late-term abortions.

Most folks who have commented have said all the right things, including the hard-line group Operation Rescue, which said "We denounce vigilantism and the cowardly act that took place this morning."

But somewhere, I'm sure there are at least a few folks thinking that killing Tiller meant that at least a few additional babies might live.

I consider myself pro-life in a qualified sort of way -- more on that later -- but if there's one thing I know, it's that you don't grab the high moral ground in this debate by killing doctors. What happened in Wichita is every bit as much an act of terror as a suicide bomber walking into a restaurant in the Middle East and setting himself off.

Killing is killing, and that's the reason I am opposed to capital punishment, euthanasia and assisted suicide as well as abortion.

Here's where my position becomes "qualified," though. I believe that as long as our laws and our society are the way they are, abortion needs to be safe and legal. That said, if a woman in my life became pregnant, I would do whatever I could to dissuade her from terminating her pregnancy.

Of course if I couldn't, the choice would be up to her. That's a choice I'm perfectly willing to let her make, as long as she understands that her actions have consequences and that she may have to justify herself before God at the end of her life.

Before I would even consider restricting abortions, I think we need to do everything we can to help women make the decision for life. That includes financial aid if needed, pre- and post-natal health care, adoption assistance and child care if she decides to raise the child.

Without those things, we're not pro-life. We're just pro-birth.

That's the way to reduce abortions.

Not killing doctors.

allvoices

6 comments:

Pauline said...

What's wrong with assisted suicide? That's a pretty bold statement to make.

Anonymous said...

Assisted suicide iis in most cases just assisted murder.

I am pro-life, and I agree with you, Mike.

Frankly, while I understand people who view all abortions as murder, I know the vast majority of people believe that killing anyone -- including abortion doctors -- is wrong.

The reason why assisted suicide is wrong is because it allows the individual to decide when life ends and that's only a choice that belongs to the Creator.

Humans are creatures. We cannot control the vast majority of things that happen to us from conception to death.

That's what "human rights" are all a bout -- the fact that NO ONE can separate us from basic rights -- among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

When somone is assisted in their own death -- suicide -- it is fact that the ill person is usurping the role of God and determining when and how they will die.

What is there to distinguish between what an individual wants and say, what a Hitler wants?

In both cases, it's a human determining when a life will end.

pro-life means more than pro-birth, too. It means showing compassion on innocent lives. the babies didn't do anything wrong -- why should they be punished?

If we're giving out billions -- hundreds of billions to stupid corporations -- we need to take care of those who most need help.


Evelyn

Mike Rappaport said...

Pauline, you deserve an answer from me on this.

When your grandfather was very ill, he insisted that not only would he never ask someone to help him kill himself, he would not allow anyone except grandma to make the decision to "pull the plug."

He understood that asking someone to help terminate the life of someone they love can carry with it tremendous feelings of guilt, and he didn't want any of his children to have to deal with it.

In the same way, I would never ask that of you or Virgile.

Anonymous said...

Heck, if you need someone to pull the plug, Mike, I've got nothing else to do and I do have my electrician's union card.

:)

Jeff, in Pomona

Mike Rappaport said...

Who are you, Jeff? Peter Lorre's grandson?

Anonymous said...

No.

Actually, I'm much taller.

More like Boris Karloff.

:)

Jeff