Monday, May 11, 2009

Are people smarter than they once were?

"People are smarter and more aware of what's going on than at any other time in human history. The average 19-year old today knows ten times as much as a 19-year old did forty years ago. Look at the technology and information that is routinely mastered."
-- AARON, commenting on earlier post

Do you really think so, Aaron?

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, and I think I come to it from a fairly reasonable perspective. You see, I was 19 in 1969, which was exactly 40 years ago.

I'm not going to deny that there is more knowledge available now. After all, 40 years ago this month we were still two months or so from going to the moon for the first time. For most of us, computers were large machines that took punch cards (do not fold, spindle or mutilate) and kept only important records.

Heck, who could have figured that by now we'd have computers in most middle-class homes?

Not me, that's for sure.

In 1969, 19-year-olds weren't allowed to vote. It might have made a difference. If we'd had the vote in 1968, we might have spared the U.S. two terms of Richard Nixon.

But that's not the point.

I think you're making a mistake when you talk about average kids. I think the smarter kids today know things we only dreamed of knowing, but did you know that high school kids in the '60s scored significantly higher on the SAT than kids do now, and that was before the test was dumbed down.



You know what we didn't have?

Video games.

You know what else we didn't have?

Cable TV.

You know what else we didn't have?

An epidemic of fat kids, an epidemic of over-medicated kids, an epidemic of kids whose attention span is about equal to the lifespan of a gnat.

I'll tell you something else. Go back 40 more years -- to 1929 -- and you'll find kids who were more serious about their education and harder-working than we were. Evolution isn't making kids smarter as the years go on. In fact, in an awful lot of cases it's making them soft.

We're turning into a race of eloi, and if you know what that means, you are smarter than the average 19-year-old today. Between a school system that's more about training than it is about teaching and mass media that's aimed more at the groin than at the intellect, we're probably within a generation or two of either total societal collapse or complete authoritarianism.

Did you know that two-thirds of all Americans now work in service industries? We can joke all we want about "Do you want fries with that," but the fact is we used to make things. We used to build things and then stand back and take pride in what we had accomplished.

Comes the time, we'll have decisions to make.

One choice will be to accept the yoke, while the other will be to take to the hills, tear everything down and get back to what America used to be. Heck, we didn't need socialized medicine or any of that other stuff because we had communities. We cared about our neighbors and we took care of each other.

Now most of us don't even know who our neighbors are.

No, Aaron. Things aren't getting better.

They're getting finished.

allvoices

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another great blog.

Mike, these are the subjects that matter.

I have a feeling Aaron is just another young man filled with hope and a certain arrogance based on inexperience.

He'll learn.

If he's smart, he'll learn.

And you're helping him and others who don't blog responses to learn what H.G. Wells was trying to convey in "The Time Machine".

Wink-wink.

:)


Evelyn

Anonymous said...

My friends are dissing me because you dissed me.

All I did was write my honest opinion, and you mocked me.

Let me see?

What did "your"generation NOT have to deal with?

Oh, yes ... AIDS.

You people invented "free love", but the worse thing you might have gotten was a "social disease" and that was cured with a shot.

Oh, yes, you had it so hard.

Let me see, you could work on your cars.

Last month my carburetor died and rather than fix it, the mechanic at the dealership said i had to replace it or void my warranty. All at costs of over $600.

Yes, tell me again how hard you had things.

Traffic? Worse now than ever before.

Pollution? Worse now, plus we have global climate change and that means the world may end as we know it.

Okay? What else?

You had the Viet Nam war. I admit that must have been a bummer, particularly since you had a draft.

No draft now, but we've been "fighting" in Iraq for longer than World War II.

And it doesn't look like it's ending soon.

Oh, yes, the Arabs.

You had a great time. What was the cost of gasoline back in your day? What 15 cents a gallon or something like that? And you got green stamps. According to my grandfather, there were even gasoline price wars.

Did you check the price of gasoline lately? It's going back up, way up to almost $3.00 a gallon again.

Don't even try to go there.

Yeah, I admit some of my generation have screwed up. They're addicted to TV, video games, and eating too much. I have two lardos in my psyche class every other day and they overwhelm the chairs in class.

Score one for your skinny generation.

Wait. I have seen some you lardos over sixty walking around.

Let's call that one even.

Ever had to fix your computer because the motherboard fried?

That's right. You didn't have computers.

Your didn't have DVD players or Blu-Ray or i-PODs. I'll bet your old VCR flashes "12:00", right?

I can speak three languages (I have to in my college program), and I know four different computer platforms, and about a hundred software programs -- not including games.

These are all things you never had to worry about because they didn't exist when you were my age.

So what if I don't know who or what eloi is or are?

Like that makes me stupid?

I'm supposed to be aware of so much my head spins.

My little sister got me started reading your blog when I was at junior college -- and I thought you were cool.

But maybe you aren't. Maybe you're just as dim-witted as the MIS superviser at school.

The guy's a control freak.

Maybe you are, too.

I agree with a lot of what you write -- against the war, family being important, teachers are generally FUBAR, but stop creeming me with this lowball runt stuff.

I may not have your experience, but I have an IQ well north of average.

So, back off, grandpa.

Aaron

Mike Rappaport said...

Aaron, I certainly wasn't intending to diss you specifically. You sound like one helluva guy, and by the way, I know at least four people in their twenties who I would put up against anyone from my generation -- my own two kids and my friend Mick's two oldest kids.

You might be surprised to hear that I agree with a lot of what you said. It is much harder to be young now than it was in the '60s.

For one thing, they weren't so quick to eliminate jobs then.

BTW, my own children each speak three languages -- English and French, and one speaks Chinese and the other Russian.

I admire the achievers of your generation tremendously. I just wasn't buying that kids are smarter now than they were then.

As for "back off, grandpa," you must not be reading enough of my stuff. I've been a grandpa for less than eight months, and I still see it as a compliment.

So sorry if your friends dissed you.

That was not my intention.

Eloi? Read "The Time Machine." They were the ones who forgot how to work.

Anonymous said...

Cool.

I was just textmessaged. I'm a blog-god now. Don't be surprised when all my friends run your hit total up.

:)

Thanks for setting things straight.

I got two big thumbs up.

Thanks.

I'll keep tuning in.

Aaron

PS I'll read The Time Machine. Who's the author -- and is it available for Kindle II?

Mike Rappaport said...

Haven't got a Kindle yet, but I imagine it would be. A guy named H.G. Wells wrote it.

BTW, it's also been a movie -- several times.

Anonymous said...

All things considered, I'd rather read the book.

Aaron

Mike Rappaport said...

Good for you.