Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Schools should educate, not brainwash


"That's why everyone MUST be forced to go to public school and forced if necessary to give up these primitive viewpoints. ... If I had you in one of my classes, you'd learn to drop your stupid, 'hatemongering' ways or I'd fail you. It doesn't matter to me what your grades are -- it's time we concentrated on reprogramming you idiots with the right and proper viewpoint."
-- COUSIN IT

I actually don't like the idea of calling our friend from the education community "Cousin It."

That's a little demeaning, even though she refuses to give her name. I think it would probably be nicer -- and maybe more accurate -- to call her Mrs. Tingle. There was a 1999 film starring the excellent Helen Mirren called "Teaching Mrs. Tingle," in which students tried to get back at a vicious teacher who terrorized her classes.

Now I'd be willing to guess from the quotes above that our own Mrs. Tingle doesn't much like her own students, unless they knuckle down, toe the line and follow instructions to the letter. She clearly doesn't see education as learning -- people who use words like "forced" and "reprogramming" rarely do.

I would be very interested in knowing what subject she teaches, because the best teachers I ever had -- in public schools, yes -- didn't always try to get you to agree with them, but to look for deeper meanings on their own.

I really didn't think any of the comments -- even though I disagreed with some of them -- were "hatemongers," except for maybe Mrs. Tingle. I will guarantee you one thing. Whether this woman is straight or gay, she is incredibly sexually frustrated. If you'll pardon the expression, it almost drips from every word she writes.

Is America really supposed to be a Brave New World, where everyone fits into the niche the authorities decide they belong in? We have enough economic shackles on us these days that freedom often seems less than free, but I guarantee you that if the purpose of the public schools is what she describes in the beginning, Americans would tear down those schools brick by brick.

I don't ban anyone from posting here, and I don't delete any comments. I try not to ridicule anyone who goes to the trouble to read and comment, but this woman is a joke. In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised to see that it was someone faking what they think is political correctness run amok.

Sorry, Mrs. Tingle, but people don't always vote the way you want. That means you need to do a better job of making your case.

It doesn't mean we drag them into your classroom and lobotomize them.

Not yet anyway.

allvoices

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tingle?

I like that.

Ernie

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but "Ms. Tingle" doesn't get any votes of confidence from me.

Loud, abrasive, and smarmy in that know-it-all sense, she is just another big-mouthed complainer -- the type we seemed plagued by as the years go by.

These are people who specialize in complaining.

Let her have her say -- and then get back to the real dialogue where people are civil to one another, if not kind.

I am so over the Ms. Tingles in life.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why Ms. Tingle is so upset.

Not unless in addition to being a terrible bore, she's also gay.

Roy

Anonymous said...

Your insults don't affect me at all.

And I will not be badgered into revealing more than I like.

Only IDIOTS such as you resort to name calling and gay bashing.

I teach science. And sometimes math.

The hard, and yet most important subjects.

So, to Mike and his fans, I leave you with this thought: if I so wrong, why are you so confused and upset?

It's obvious I've hit a nerve.

Maybe there's hope for you yet.

Mike Rappaport said...

I'm not confused ... or upset.

Anonymous said...

oh, is that so?

You say one thing in your blog and another in response to my comeback.

You ARE confused and more than a little angry.

Maybe you're the one who's gender-stressed. Or are you a latent homosexual?

Certainly, your bias toward my logic and fact-based opinion is a clue -- you have a great deal of repressed anger.

Maybe you've been hiding too long.

Now is the time to come out and admit what you feel inside and have felt inside.

I've taken courses in this field, and I can tell when someone is not what he seems.

You, sir, are definitely not what you pretend to be.

Mike Rappaport said...

I find it fascinating that so much of what you write, Mrs. Tingle, comes in the form of personal attacks on me and on the other people who read me.

Your own posts literally drip with anger. At least the ones that don't trumpet your own superiority.

You say you teach science and math. I doubt very seriously that you and I differ much on science or math. In fact, my wife is one of the leading research scientists in the world, and I am very proud of her.

But playing the gay card? Come on, lady. I suppose if I were faced with the choice between Rob Lowe and Rosie O'Donnell, I might consider it, but otherwise, I like women too much ever to be gay.

Note that I didn't say I like having sex with women, although I do. No, Mrs. Tingle, I have many women friends and appreciate the difference between them and men.

So give it a rest, lady. You're not going to get the chance to indoctrinate any of us.

Anonymous said...

You're living in DENIAL.

And frankly, I don't know if I can spare any more of my valuable time trying to help you or your STUPID readers.

Good luck, you'll need it, bozo.