Saturday, May 2, 2009

Searching for the eternal endless summer

It's May already.

May 2, to be exact, and there was a time that would have meant an awful lot to me. When you reach May, you're in the home stretch of the school year, and you're counting the days till summer vacation.

When I was in elementary school and junior high in Ohio, school would end right around Memorial Day. Later, when we lived in Virginia, we went until about the middle of June.

And then came summer.

Ten weeks of nothing to do but enjoy yourself, to get up when you wanted, to go to bed late and to have fun outdoors from the beginning of the day till the end. Whether we were playing baseball at the crummy field we called "Eats it Field," swimming at the community pool or just hanging out, they were wonderful times.

Summer meant something special then, and kids all over the country dreamed of California summers as epitomized by the music of the Beach Boys.



That's the song that said it best, and it was so perfect behind the credits at the end of "American Graffiti." It's strange how quickly time passes, odd to realize that it has been 36 years since George Lucas made the film that asked the question, "Where were you in '62?"

Longtime columnist Bob Greene wrote a wonderful novel, his only one, about three middle-aged friends who tried to capture the wonder of summer one last time. Of course he called it "All Summer Long." He couldn't have called it anything else.

Some years ago, I asked my mother when the time comes that you feel different inside. When do you feel like an adult, or a middle-aged person, or a grandparent? When do you forget the things you enjoyed when you were young?

Her answer was that you don't change inside, but I know I have and not always for the better. You see, I don't look forward to summer anymore. Especially in Southern California, where summer can last seven or eight months, I find myself annoyed by the hot temperatures and sensitive to the bright sunlight.

We had two days in the middle of April when the temperature hit 100 degrees locally.

I didn't think it would be a great day to hit the beach, or just to lay out in the sun. I was annoyed and headachy.

I always loved the saying that everyone has to get older, but not everyone has to grow up. I still laugh at the same raunchy humor I did when I was 19, and I still love baseball better than anything in the world other than my friends and family. In many ways I'm still, God help me, a frat boy.

Of course, I make no apologies for that. It just manifests itself in things like trying to make a bet with my lifelong friend Mick on the golf course that the loser has to perform an unnatural act on the winner. He always gets horrified at the thought. Mick isn't a frat boy; he went straight from 14 to 45.

It manifests itself in refusing to kowtow to pompous people, and it probably hastened the end of my 30-year career in journalism last year. So just as getting into the working world made summer just like all the other seasons for me, leaving it made all the other seasons seem like summer vacation.

Either way, summer isn't special to me anymore.

The place where I used to play ball is now the parking lot for a big office building, and all my old friends are either gray-haired fathers or white-haired grandfathers.

The swimming pool is still there, but next summer it will be 40 years since the last time I went there, hoping to see the lovely Cheryl Newman in a bikini.

Yeah, we used to have fun all summer long.

Even the memories are wonderful.

allvoices

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike, you wrote: "I always loved the saying that everyone has to get older, but not everyone has to grow up."

The originator of the quote is one of my favorite writers:

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature."
- Dave Barry


Ernie

Mike Rappaport said...

Dave Barry is wonderful. I also love the Jimmy Buffett song, "I'm Growing Older but Not Up."

Anonymous said...

Interesting blog, especially the small part of how you try to embarrass your best friend on the golf course.

I can only imagine what you've said to him that so horrifies him, but it does underscore something I have always thought about "frat boys."

You revel in being childish and doing things to shock and unnerve others.

I dated a "frat boy" for five years.

Yes, I know frat boys very well.

Eventually, though, I grew up and left that "wild side" behind. He never could.

I've been married for 26 years now (to a different man) and I have three children -- one's finished with college, the other two are still attending universities.

Meanwhile my ex-boyfriend drifted through three marriages and today lives on a boat in the harbor, still caught up in the "frat boy" lifestyle.

Mike, I enjoy many of your blogs. I love the latest about your kids. Still, I have trouble squaring the "good father" with the "frat boy" role you seem to relish so much.

I am amazed, as smart and perceptive as you obviously are, that you still cling to that part of your past and your childhood.

I've read with interest all your comments to Sharee, and while I identify with her disgust at the frat boy antics, you obviously have grown up enough to deal with her "personal" attacks.

My question is this: why is it so hard to give up that frat boy childishness?

I'm not suggesting that you deny your past or become a fuddy-duddy. Simply, can you see that clinging to that identity and acting in such a boorish manner is maybe the one thing holding you back?

Yes, you seem sad, even bitter, at times. I suspect you think your "life" as a working man is over. What happened to you at your last job was not just unfair, it might have been criminally wrong.

Still, it's time to move on.

I know you're no Ronald Reagan fan, but he accomplished the major achievements of his life long after he was sixty years old.

Maybe the same is in store for you, but maybe, just maybe, you need to let go of this final part of your immature youth.

I love my husband for many, many reasons. yet, perhaps the most compelling part of his personality is that he put aside childish things and became a man. That's what I think I fell in love with first. he was a man, all man.

I'm hoping you can do that, too. You're far too intelligent and gifted a writer to let a blog be your final legacy.

I think you still have the best part of your life ahead of you. Maybe not the lion's share of your life, but definitely "the best is yet to be."

And I say that to you as a "fan".

Benita, West Covina

P.S. I started reading you as a result of my son being asked to read you four years ago when he was in junior college for a class assignment. You have often served a "bridge" between two generations when we discuss topical issues.

Keep doing what you're doing, just let the frat boy side of you slip away. You don't need it. It was fun and good at the right time, but it's time now to become (as that old army commercial said) "all you CAN be."

Anonymous said...

Nice blog, Bonita.

Evelyn

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Benita.

(I didn't mean to misspell your name.)

:{

Evelyn