Friday, October 31, 2008

Who cares if politicians are 'Godless?'

What's the most private thing we have?

I suppose there are a few possibilities, many of which would involve various little bits of nastiness we wouldn't want anyone to know about, but it seems to me the most private thing any of us have is our relationship with God.

That's why politics has become so incredibly annoying. This isn't just a liberal or conservative thing, either. I'm annoyed every time I hear a politician -- as I heard Barack Obama Wednesday night -- close a speech by saying, "God bless the United States of America."

But it happens all the time. The chances of an avowed atheist winning any sort of important office these days are about the same as Rush Limbaugh getting his clothes anywhere other than the Big & Tall Men's shop.

So I guess I shouldn't be as outraged by Elizabeth Dole as I am.

Dole, the one person Republicans always used to trot out to prove they didn't hate working women, is running for a second term as senator from North Carolina. She's struggling badly and appears to be on the verge of losing, which I suppose is why she had to play the "God" card.

Now Kay Hagen is anything but Godless. She's a Presbyterian and a former Sunday School teacher, and that isn't her voice saying "There is no God," even though her picture is on the screen at the same time.

But Dole is trying to tell us, even if she doesn't come right out and say it, that electing Hagen would be voting for an end to Christmas, forcing little children to dress up as Satan for Halloween and boiling puppies.

Jeez, Elizabeth.

You used to be so reasonable.

The fact is, there are far worse things a senator could be than Godless.

Just ask Ted Stevens.

allvoices

No comments: